Pages

Wednesday 23 January 2019

The Plastic Pledge


Over the past few decades some of New Zealand’s beaches have become dumping grounds for waste and rubbish. Almost 80% of this waste is made up of plastic items. (WOW)
Some companies in New Zealand have heard about the problem and agreed to cut down on their use of plastic. Countdown supermarkets, for example, have announced that they will stop 
giving out plastic 
bags to customers.  What do you think of this idea? What do your friends and family think? Is it a good idea or not?

I think countdown is smart because if one store stops it might inspire another store :)
My family might be annoyed when we forget the bag but we will just buy a new one <3

Thanks for reading <3

1 comment:

  1. Hi Coree,

    It's Leslie here, a member of the Summer Learning Journey team reading your blog from my home in Canada.

    I'm so glad to read that you're supportive of Countdown for choosing to stop giving out plastic grocery bags. I am too! I come to visit each year to visit my daughter, Rachel, and her family and so I shop in Auckland, like you. I think it's important that we use our own bags when we shop. My husband and I do that here, in Canada, as well. We have a bag of reusable fabric bags that we take with us to buy groceries. And, if we forget them, we do as you suggest - we just buy another one. They all get used at some point!!

    The less plastic on the planet the better, for sure!! I'm glad you're trying to live carefully on the earth!!

    And I'm glad that you're a part of this Summer Learning Journey program. I'll continue to read your blog.

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete